Zoom Review for Telemedicine & Telehealth
Zoom Healthcare Review
Zoom is a highly rated video conferencing solution, but probably not going to be the right long-term tool for virtual connectivity with patients. Even though this tool is HIPAA compliant as Zoom with sign a BAA, it was designed to be a video conferencing solution. When treating patients virtually from their home or work, you really need something designed specifically for that.
This could be a great internal tool used for video conferencing and would allow you to discuss personal health information.
Zoom does integrate with Epic, but that is the extent of their integration technology. If you cannot integrate, this is going to really impact your Telemedicine strategy long-term.
Other features missing that you’re really going to want from a Telehealth solution:
- E-commerce – how will you collect credit card payments for co-pays and deductibles if the patient is no longer in the office?
- Esignature – you may need consents and other documentation that is collected in the office now.
- Assessments – collecting any sort of clinical assessment or other forms is not possible with Zoom.
- Support – if a patient has trouble connecting, support is going to be limited and your staff would need to provide tech support in addition to patient care.
- Testing – if patients don’t test prior to their visit, this is going to be a problem.
- Reimbursement – understanding payer contracts and regulations is also not going to happen with a video conferencing solution.
- Messaging – very limited.
- Scheduling – patients cannot schedule their own virtual visits.
The final big drawback with this solution for treating patients is the bandwidth requirements. You need at least 2Mbps up and down. This isn’t going to work well for patients, especially those using cellular service. Video reception could easily be choppy or have echoes.
We hope you enjoyed the Zoom review and we wish you great success if modernizing care for your patients and clients.
Zoom Editor rating as a Telehealth solution:
Zoom makes video and web conferencing frictionless. Founded in 2011, Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with a secure, easy platform for video and audio conferencing, messaging, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Zoom helps over 700,000 businesses and organizations bring their teams together to get more done. Zoom is a private company headquartered in San Jose, CA.